Centre Pompidou is a modern art museum and cultural center located in the heart of Paris. It is known for its modern architecture and street performers that gather on the plaza of this building. Many of these street performers (jugglers, acrobats, musicians, and mimes) rely on their special talents to make money.
Many French families take a vacation to Eastern France to visit the beautiful Alps. A trip to the Alps means lots of skiing during the winter and hiking during the summer. In some areas of the French Alps, you are able to find freshwater lakes where many people sail, swim, or sunbathe on their boats.
1. If you were in the Alps, what activity would you prefer to do?
We often live by a schedule, trying to be at appointments on time and meet deadlines at work or school. The French also live by a schedule, but it is due to the fact that many of them use public transportation, which means they have to have their day planned out so they are sure to not be left at the bus or metro stop.
1. Is being on time important to you?
2. Do you like to follow a routine or do you prefer a varied schedule?
During winter break in France, many people find themselves going to eastern France to the Alps to ski or to their family's vacation home to spend time with their family. During the winter break many of us will be traveling and visiting our families as well.
In the United States families often hang stockings from the chimney which are to be filled with goodies; however in France, children leave their shoes next to the door in hopes that Pere Noel (Father Christmas) will fill them with treats.
As we continue to learn about French culture and family traditions we often think about traditions that we do with our own families.
1. What is one tradition that you do with your family during the holidays?
This is a Smart Car, which is very typical in European cities. They are a two-seat mini car that gets high miles per gallon. In France, gas is purchased by the liter (nearly $10.00 a gallon) so a small car or public transportation is often utilized. They are also easy to maneuver and park on small, congested streets.
As you continue to study the French language, you will learn more about French culture. France is a very unique country known for its strong influence in the fashion industry, cuisine, and history. Using the internet, answer the following questions about France.
Thanksgiving is an American holiday that is celebrated by many families, which often have family traditions that they do each year on this holiday. All families, French or American, have special customs or family traditions.
1. What did you do for Thanksgiving?
2. What is a tradition in your family for Thanksgiving?
In France and the United States, many schools are named after famous people. A French school may have the name of a monarch or ruler such as Henri IV or Charlemagne. Think about schools in the U.S., is this a similar occurence?
1. What is the name of your school?
2. How did it get its name?
3. What is another school, that you know of, that is named after a famous person?
1. What is the first thing you think of when you see this painting? 2. Who is the artist? (He was known for his abstract art) 3. What is the artist trying to express? 4. How does this painting make you feel?